Executive Chef Philippe Olivier Robles shares an exquisite culinary creation.
Spring Vegetable Risotto with Shrimp
4 cups chicken broth
1-1/4 cups water
1/2 cup dry white wine
8 oz. asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
2 cups arborio or carnaroli rice
1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 cup frozen peas
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh parsley or basil leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In 2-quart saucepan, heat broth, water, and wine to boiling on high. When boiling, add asparagus and cook 2 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove asparagus to small bowl; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in microwave-safe 4-quart bowl or casserole, combine oil, onion, and carrot. Cook, uncovered, in microwave on high for 3 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add rice and stir to coat with oil; cook, uncovered, on high for 1 minute.
3. Stir hot broth mixture into rice mixture. Cover bowl with vented plastic wrap, and cook in microwave on medium (50% power) for 15 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is tender but still firm, stirring halfway through cooking.
4. Add shrimp, frozen peas, and cooked asparagus; cover and cook in microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes longer, or just until shrimp lose their pink color throughout. Do not overcook; mixture will look loose and soupy but will thicken to the proper creamy consistency after cooking.
5. Stir in lemon juice, parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Makes about 10 cups.
A fruity, spicy Sauvignon Blanc would be perfect with this elegant dish.