Ahoy there! Hope yer day’s goin’ as swell as the waves in a tropical storm! Get it… swell? Arrrgh, never mind.
Anyway, September 19 is officially “Talk Like a Pirate Day!” Don’t believe us? We ain’t spinnin’ tales. See for yerself at the official website.
In honor of this most glourious of all days, we at the Resort Collection are bringin’ our mateys (you) some fun facts about pirates, including how to talk like a pirate, pirate trivia, the best pirate movies, and some fun piratey events for ye land lubbers to enjoy, right here in Panama City Beach!
So strap on yer boots an’ let’s get started!
First thing yer need to know about pirate-speak is how to say hello. It could save yer from gettin’ fired at with a cannon. After all, a friendly greetin’ is just common courtesy. Here’s all the words ye need to know to talk to pirates:
- Hello- “Ahoy!” OR “Avast!” OR “Arrrrrgh!”
- How are you? – “How arrrrgh ye?”
- Is this your ship? – “This be your vessel?”
- Where is the bathroom? – “Where be the poopdeck?!”
- I’m hungry, where is the kitchen? – “I be workin’ up an appetite! Point me to the galley!”
- I’m thirsty. – “Why’s the rum gone?!”
- Do you understand? – “Savvy?”
- Goodbye – “SEA ye later!”
Now, some of our favorite pirate movies, so all ye newbies can study up an’ get ter pirating real good:
- Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
- Treasure Island (1950)
- Peter Pan (1953, 2003)
- The Goonies (1985)
- The Princess Bride (1987)
- Muppet Treasure Island (1996)
- Treasure Planet (2002)
- and of course, Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean 1-4 (2003-2011)
Now, after gettin’ hang o’ the language, and studyin’ the great pirates of film, yer ready to be a true pirate, and what better way than some o’ these piratey events in Panama City Beach? Remember, keep yer sword handy, never trust a talkin’ parrot, and keep an eye out fer X’s cause they usually mark the spot! Check out these PCB treasure troves:
- Pieribbean Pirates Shootin’ Gallery in Pier Park – Think yeh’ve got what it takes to hit the target? Find out if yer lily-livered or a pirate pro!
- The “Sea Dragon” Pirate Cruise – Set sail and learn all ye need to know about crewin’ a ship. Fun fer the whole family with pirate lessons, fun activities, and libations for the adults!
- 2014 Pirates of the High Seas Festival! October 10–12 – The ultimate test of pirate-ism! Grab yer best feathered hat an’ climb aboard for this city-wide festival! Fer more information an’ the complete schedule, go to VisitPanamaCityBeach.com!